Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Poetic Justice...



Woo...So, Jessica Care Moore. She's one of those people that touches you once and you're never quite the same afterwards. I don't keep up with her. I don't know anything about her. I just know that when I was a teenager, I caught her on Showtime @ The Apollo one night, and it changed the way I viewed myself. It made me think more, hope more, and expect more of myself.

She won like a bazillion times and I'm sure she holds some record still today. This was the first poem I heard her recite and I remember printing the words to this and memorizing it. I still know it by heart:

("Black Statue of Liberty")

That was followed the next week by "Black Girl Juice," which still blows my mind.

That was more than 10 years ago I'm sure, and here's something more recent:

("Warriors Walk Alone")

No comments: